Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Product Review: The Veggetti

Disclaimer: I am not getting paid/compensated for this review. It is all a matter of personal opinion and I by no means am endorsing the product.

Today, I wanted to take a moment to share with you a cool kitchen gadget I impulse bought invested in this past week. Every time I go into Walmart (which isn't often, trust me), I see this product by the checkouts and finally just decided to buy one.


Introducing the Veggetti! This cool little funnel like contraption claims it will turn vegetables into spaghetti like strands. I have tried zucchini 'pasta' once before and loved it. Plus the idea of pasta without the carbs had me intrigued.

So I decided to make zucchini pesto pasta this week for my lunches - what better way to try it out then with the main vegetable it emphasizes?

Upon opening up the package and reading the instructions, we learn that it has two sides, one for thin noodles and one for thick. I decided to try the thick side for yesterday's lunch. The instructions are fairly simple: Place your vegetable in the hole for the desired side and twist. The noodles will come out the slot on the side. You will likely have to pull them apart with your hands a bit, but for the most part it's fairly simple to use.



Once your vegetable gets low, it comes with a pusher/lid to help finish the rest off, but of course that still doesn't get the very bottom. So I ended up with an end cone of zucchini that I couldn't make noodles with. Instead of throwing away, I just cut it up and added it to my other vegetables. 

The instructions also say that once you finish up the whole vegetable you should bunch it up and cut it all in half to make it more manageable, but I found that it was fine long also. 


After you have finished up your noodles, there are several things you can do with them. You can eat them raw (like on salads and such), boil them like pasta, or stir fry/saute them. I decided to just boil mine like pasta. The best part is that you don't have to boil for more than 2-3 minutes, which is nice. 

While those were boiling, I cooked up some chicken and other veggies. I decided to top the noodles with those and some homemade pesto sauce (recipe to come soon!). 


Overall, I think that I will continue to use this for a while. I do like that I can make low carb lunches so easily, and still get filled up. I want to try it with marinara sauce - pesto didn't go quite so well with it all. My only quam it that little end piece. I also am not sure how this cleans up (my mom did the dishes that night so I'll have to ask her). 

Lisa's Review:
All points out of 10 (1 lowest)
Usefulness: 9
Ease of use: 7
Price Point: 5 ( $14.99 at Walmart is a bit steep to me)
Clean up: 5 (may change after I mess with it more)
Tastiness: 10 ( I would def add seasoning to the water!)
Would I buy this again?: Yes, if it were cheaper. 

I hope you enjoyed this review. Feel free to ask any and all questions you have about this product. It may seem like a gimmick, but it really is a cool little gadget for all those vegan/paleo/vegetarians/dieters out there. 

~Lisa







No comments:

Post a Comment