Friday, October 10, 2014

Recipe: Baked Chicken with Herbed Mushroom Gravy (and gnocchi!)

I come bearing yet another recipe from my "More with Less Cookbook" that I tried this past week. I was flipping through pages and stumbled upon this one. I think what drew me in was that my mom makes a very similar dish at home, using cream of mushroom soup. The idea of making my own "gravy" was really intriguing and I knew I had to try it. 

The nice thing about this book is how simple the recipes really are and how well they explain everything. I am hoping to do a review here in a few weeks with more information. The muffins in the last post also came from this book, fyi.

Baked Chicken with Herbed Mushroom Gravy
(Shown served with gnocchi and green beans)


Ingredients:

Sauce:

4 Tbsp Margarine
1/4 c chopped mushrooms
1 Tbsp chopped onion - I used dried onion flakes
4 Tbsp Flour (you can alter the thickness by adding more or less flour and margarine)
1/4 tsp salt
1 c milk

Chicken:

1 lb chicken (I used boneless breasts, but you may use what you prefer)
1 1/4 c of the sauce (1 batch basically)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
Any other seasonings you prefer - I added thyme

Recipe:

To make the sauce:

In a saucepan, add the margarine, mushrooms and onion. Saute until mushroom are fairly cooked.

Add in the flour and salt and stir and cook until bubbly.

Add milk with a whisk and cook just until it's thickened and smooth.


To make chicken:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Place cleaned chicken in a glass pan (I used a 9x9 square).

Combine the mushroom sauce with the rest of your ingredients and poor over the chicken.

Bake uncovered for an hour and 15 minutes. 

Serve with desired sides. It tastes really good with cooked gnocchi!

Nutrition Info:
(serving size - 1/4 lb chicken, 4 serving per recipe)

313 calories
11 gram fat
3 gram sat fat
11 gram carbs
4 gram sugar
37 gram protein

This was a super delicious dish, and the addition of the herbs and lemon to the sauce made it so amazing - I never would have thought to have done this. If you are too scared to try making the sauce from scratch (But come on! It wasn't that hard) you can buy a can of cream of mushroom soup instead.  I am sure it will taste good regardless.

Have a great weekend all.

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment