Saturday, October 4, 2014

Recipe: Pineapple-Coconut (whole wheat) Muffins

Tonight's recipe is one that I tried about a year ago and never got around to making again. I popped open my cookbook tonight and decided to give it another go.

Pineapple-Coconut Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 honey (or sugar...if you must)
1/4 softened margarine
1 large egg
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
1/4-1/3 cup shredded coconut
coconut sugar (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

In a bowl sift/stir together the flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside

Mix the honey and margarine in a separate bowl and once mixed add the egg.

Beat well and then stir in the pineapple and coconut.

Mix the wet ingredients with the dry and stir just until the flour is moist.

Fill your muffin tins 2/3 of the way full and sprinkle with coconut sugar.

 Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from tin as soon as they are ready. 

Best served warm. :) 



Nutrition Facts:
Serving size - 1 muffin

114 calories
1 g fat
4738 mg sodium
24 g carbs
8 g sugar (but remember, it's from the honey and pineapple)
3 g protein

The coconut was something I added to the recipe, and I replaced the sugar with honey. I think I could have baked mine a bit longer (I just did 15 min) but we will see when they cool. Overall, these turned out much better than the last time.  I bet there are lots of other things you could add to amp up the flavor!

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment