Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Salmon Adventures

Good Morning! I just have to share with you what I made for dinner last night! It was so yummy. :)


Salmon is a great meal for anyone looking for their Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as the protein and amino acid content. Overall, salmon is considered one of the healthiest fish you can eat. 

I have had the salmon in my freezer for awhile, I just wasn't sure what to do with it so I put off cooking it. Finally I did some hunting around Pinterest and found a few recipes that sounded good. I settled on this one because it was easy and the ingredients were few and cheap.

The first thing the recipe calls for in marinating your salmon.  It starts with lime juice, which I got fresh via some cheap limes from Farmer's Market. I figured why not? 


2 tsp lime juice,
2 tsp cilantro (supposed to be dried, but all I had was fresh)
1 tsp honey 

I actually doubled it since it did not look like enough for the amount of salmon that I had. Once again, being me, I didn't fully measure when I doubled it, I more or less just dropped some cilantro in the mixture and called it good. Recipe for disaster? We'll see. 

The next step is to let the salmon marinate while you prepare the rice. I let it soak in a tupperware container for awhile, as shown below. I attempted to take the skin off part of it, so it would cook better, but that didn't end well for the 2 pieces I had tried, so I left it in tact for the other two. It's so weird to still see scales on my fish though!

1/2 lb raw kale
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp lime juice
pinch of salt
3-4 diced scallions
2 cups cooked brown rice


Once again, measuring was out the window because I didn't have a scale nor did I care how much kale I had. Never having eaten kale before, I was a bit timid about it anyways. 

Putting the kale and lime juice in a pot, I started to cook it, allowing the kale to wilt. It was already starting to smell amazing!!

Luckily for me I had a box of brown rice (instant) in my cabinet already, so I prepared that viz microwave. What a pain! It takes FOREVER to cook and then is still a bit tough. Maybe I'll try the stove next time.  

Once I FINALLY got my rice done, I added it, along with the cilantro and did some mixing (you are also supposed to add scallions, but I didn't have any to add so I skipped that step-- where the heck do you find those in the grocery store?!?!)


By this point my kitchen was beginning to smell amazing and it was finally time to cook the salmon.  Pouring  a bit of olive oil into the pan, I dropped my salmon fillets and let them cook a bit before flipping over and adding the rest of the marinade. It was basically cooking in the marinade, absorbing as it went, and I think that helped the overall flavor when all was said and done.


Not really knowing how to tell when salmon is done, I just kept flipping and stirring and flipping and stirring. In the end, I think it was done, or at least I didn't get sick!

Serving it all up was such a treat! It had taken so long to prepare and smelled so good, that I almost didn't want to eat it. But I did, and you know what?! It was amazing! The perfect balance of sweet and tangy in the salmon, paired with the interested flavors of the the rice lent itself to an amazing dish. If I ever do it again, there are a few things I'd change.
  • Less lime juice in the rice.
  • Watch how much cilantro I add.
  • Don't attempt to de-skin the salmon.
  • Add the scallions like it says. 


Paired with broccoli

One thing you will all come to learn about me is that I tend to cook a lot of one dish. This helps me, being a busy student, in that I can refridgerate the left overs and reheat them all week without having to cook again! So dinner for the rest of the week is this amazing salmon!

And then...the dishes. Look how many I used in the process. Was it worth it though? Heck yes!



I hate doing dishes, especially in this little kitchen. But I knocked them out and now my countertop is overloaded with drying dishes! Oh well.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment